01/16/2014 12:22 PM
The Windy City ThunderBolts are pleased to announce their 2014 Frontier League schedule. This will be the 22nd year for the Frontier League and the ThunderBolts' 16th season in the circuit. After playing the most unorthodox schedule last season, the Bolts will play a much more tame slate in 2014. Some highlights...
- The ThunderBolts will be back at home to start the season after starting last year with a 10-game road trip. It will be 9th time out of 11 years that Windy City will open the season at Standard Bank Stadium.
- The ThunderBolts will never have a longer home stand than six games in 2014, but they will play the longest amount of consecutive road games in team history. Windy City will be on the road for 12 straight games, but with the All Star break in the middle, from July 4th to July 20th.
- Something that will be very different will be how the season ends. Usually a road heavy August/September is how the Bolts close out the schedule. In 2014 the bolts will play 15 of their final 21 games at Standard Bank Stadium including a six-game homestand to close out the regular season. This will be only the fourth time in the last 11 years that the ThunderBolts will close the season at home.
- For the first time since 2009 the ThunderBolts will have a Independence Day fireworks show. It will be on Thursday, July 3rd.
- For the first time in years Windy City will have Sunday matinee games. All May & June Sunday games will start at 2 pm, while the August Sundays will still be at 5 pm.
The 2014 Frontier League season will feature the same 14 teams. The Frontier Greys will again play an all-road schedule and this will give the ThunderBolts an extra three home games for 2014. Windy City opens the season at Standard Bank Stadium on Friday, May 16th against those Frontier Greys. The month of July might be make or break for the Bolts as they will only have nine home games. Out of 26 games in July, 17 will be on the road including 12 straight from July 4th to July 20th.
After only one home series from each of our closest rivals last year, the 2014 schedule shows plenty of dates vs. our rivals at Standard Bank Stadium. Joliet and Schaumburg will each play six games in Crestwood and they are all on weekends. Other close teams include a weekend series vs. Rockford and a series vs. Normal with July 3rd holiday fireworks. Due to the heavy home schedule with our rivals, Windy City, will play only one series in Joliet, Normal, Rockford, and Schaumburg.
Game times for 2014 have changed in one big way. The ThunderBolts will play Sunday afternoon games for the first time in years. Early season Sunday games (May & June) will start at 2 pm. Late season (August) Sundays will still be at 5 pm to beat the heat. Any time the ThunderBolts have postgame fireworks the game will start at 6 pm. Our three School Days and three Big Splash Days will all be a 10:35 am start. We expect to announce one or two additional special fireworks nights before the season starts in May.
Windy City will make some significant changes from last year’s weekly promotions. Thursdays and Fridays will again feature $1.25 draft and $2.25 bottled domestic beer. Following every Saturday home game will again be our remarkable firework shows. However Sunday through Wednesday games will have a different look to them. Sunday will still be Family Day with 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas, but the price will only be $30 for that package (a $10 decrease from 2013). Family Day Sundays will also have a post-game autograph session and play catch on the field. Monday & Tuesday games will be School & Library Incentive nights where the local students from the area will be honored for reaching various goals set by the Schools & Libraries. Every Wednesday night game will be 50-cent hot dog night! You will not be able to beat that deal at our concessions stands anywhere else. Our full promotional schedule with giveaways and special theme nights will be announced at a later time. We look forward to seeing you at the ballpark in 2014!
The Windy City ThunderBolts open their 16th Frontier League season at Standard Bank Stadium on Friday, May 16th vs. the Frontier League Greys featuring a $1.25 draft & $2.25 bottled domestic beer! Season tickets, flex plans and group outing opportunities are available now! Call 708-489-BALL or check out wcthunderbolts.com for more information!
Browse by Month »